Fellowship in Orthopaedic & Neurosurgical Spine Surgery
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, August 2003 – July 2004
Fellowship in Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Womens Hospital, January 2003 – July 2003
Fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery
- Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, July 2002 – December 2002
Chief Resident Orthpaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston Massachusetts
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program, Harvard Medical School, June 1998 – June 2002
- Harvard Medical School, The Brigham and Women’s Hospital, June 1997 – June 1998
Doctor of Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas, June 1997
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Biology
- West Texas A & M University, June 1993, cum laude
Ho Din Award Winner – he highest honor awarded to the one graduating medical student at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School who “exemplifies the human understanding and medical wisdom that symbolizes the fundamental concept on which the medical college was based.”
Graduated number 1 of 213 in medical school class with 4.0 GPA
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society
Finalist – Hudson-Penn Award for surgical excellence among senior medical students
Honors earned in Surgery, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Family Practice and Psychiatry clinical clerkships.
- President, Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society, 1992-1993
- President, Mortar Board National Honor Society, 1992-1993
- Member, Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society, 1991-1993
- Member, Mortar Board National Honor Society, 1991-1993
- Member, Alpha Chi National Honor Society, 1992-1993
- Member, Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities, 1993
- President’s (4.0) Honor Roll – Spring 1990, Fall 1990, Fall 1991, Spring 1992
- Dean’s List – Spring 1991
- Goyal N, Wimberley DW, Hyatt A, Zeiller S, Vaccaro AR, Hilibrand AS, Albert TJ: Radiographic and clinical outcomes after instrumented reduction and transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion of mid and high-grade isthmic spondylolisthesis. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques, 2009 Jul;22(5):321-7.
- Nassr A, Singh K, Wimberley D, Vaccaro A: Prevention and Treatment of Post-traumatic Deformity of the Thoracolumbar Spine, in Spinal Deformities: The Essentials, Heary R, Albert T (eds.), Thieme Publishers, New York, pp 261-269, 2007.
- Zeiller S, Wimberley DW, Vaccaro AR, et al. Severe myelopathy resulting from melorheostosis of the cervicothoracic spine. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Dec;87(12):2759-62.
- Wimberley DW, Vaccaro AR, Goyal N, et al. Acute quadriplegia following closed traction reduction of a cervical facet dislocation in the setting of ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament: A Case Report. Spine. 2005 Aug 1;30(15):E433-8.
- Nassr A, Wimberley DW, Singh K, Vaccaro, AR. The Management of Complications Associated with Treatment of Post-Traumatic Deformity of the Thoracolumbar Spine in Complications in Spine Surgery, An, H and Jenis, LG eds, Lippincott, Williams, and Williams, Oct, 2005.
- Smith H, Wimberley DW, Vaccaro AR. Cervical Arthroplasty: Material Properties, Neurosurgical Focus 17 (3) 15 – 21, 2004.
- Huddleston, JI, Scott RD, Wimberley DW. Determination of neutral tibial rotational alignment in rotating platform TKA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005 Nov;440:101-6.
- Burbank, S, Goins ML, Wimberley DW, Yuan PS, Vaccaro AR. Thoracic Paraparesis Following an Embolic Vascular Event during Lumbar Spinal Surgery. March 2004.
- Goins ML, Wimberley DW, Yuan PS, Vaccaro AR. Nucleus Pulposus Replacement, An Emerging Technology, The Spine Journal, Nov-Dec;5(6 Suppl):317S-324S.
- Wimberley DW, Yuan PS, Goins ML, Vaccaro AR. Advances in Spine Surgical Techniques and Instrumentation and their Impact on the Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Process. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation, Fall 2004: 10(2): 35-38.
- Wimberley DW, Morris MJ, Albert TJ. The Treatment of Postlaminectomy Kyphosis with Anterior –Posterior Decompression and Stabilization: A Case Study. North American Spice Society – SpineLine, Accepted for publication, date pending.
- Yuan PS, Wimberley DW, Goins ML, Hilibrand, AS. Spontaneous Multilevel Anterior Cervical Ankylosis Following Chymopapain Injection: A Case Report. Submitted for publication, date pending.
- Yuan PS, Goins ML, Wimberley DW, Vaccaro AR, Albert, TJ, Hilibrand AH. A Less Traumatic Technique: Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. Orthopedic Technology Review, Vol.6, Number 3 March/April 2004.
- Wimberley DW, Yuan PS, Goins ML, Vaccaro AR. The Surgical Management of Traumatic Injuries of the Vertebral Column and Spinal Cord: An Update. The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, 32: 96 – 103, 2004.
- Yuan PS, Wimberley DW, Goins ML, Hilibrand, AS. Cervical Chympapain Chemonucleolysis Producing Interbody Fusion: A Case Report, The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, 32: 93 – 95, 2004.
- Goins ML, Wimberley DW, Yuan PS, Vaccaro AR. Nucleus Pulposus Replacement, An Emerging Technology. The Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal, 32: 86 – 93, 2004.
- Magee KP, Wimberley D, Crane C, Bawdon R. The determination of the Maternal Fetal
Transfer of Rifampin and Rifabutin in the ex vivo Human Placental model. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 4(6): 319-320.
- Magee KP, Wimberley D, Crane C, Bawdon R. Ex vivo human placental transfer and the Vasoactive Properties of Hydralazine American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 182: 167-169, 2000.
- Roberts S, Bawdon R, Sobhi S, Dax J, Gilstrap L 3rd, Wimberley D. The Maternal Fetal Transfer of BHAP in the ex vivo Human Placenta. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 172: 88-91, 1995.